The Pyper House
2225 S. Boulevard
The Tudor Revival/“Storybook” home was built in 1936 by R.B. Ewart, who served a brief term as Idaho Falls mayor. The home was reportedly a farmhouse, and the farm included much of the land to the east.
Inside you’ll find original red oak and fir floors throughout. Portions of the window trim are original, as is the fireplace surround and some plaster walls. Most of the doors and crystal doorknobs were present when the home was built. Brick chimneys were left exposed as part of a 2017 renovation.
The Cooper House
334 E. 13th Street
The Tudor Revival home was built in 1936.
Many local homes built in this time and in the Tudor style feature the dramatic barrel-vault ceiling as seen here. Other original features include hardwood floors, arches throughout, plaster walls, a plaster fireplace and its light fixtures, and a wavy storybook shake roof—one of the last of its kind in the area.
The Parmenter House #1
126 12th Street
The Dutch Colonial home was built in 1906.
Original features include main-floor oak floors, upstairs fir floors, claw-foot tub, built-in closets.
The Parmenter House #2
121 12th Street
The home was built in 1911.
Original features include fir floors, millwork, interior doors and hardware, upstairs tile, family-room chandelier, and main-floor windows.
The McLaren House
179 11th Street
In 1918 the Colonial Revival home was built for Harold Sheppard. The cost of construction totaled $11,000, and Harold’s brother Roy built the home to the east. The brothers were married to the MacDonald sisters, and the couples shared a large garage in back. In 1938 Chase Clark purchased the home and lived here until he took office as Idaho governor in 1941.
Original features include hardwood floors, built-ins, spiderweb transoms, and a dramatic main-floor fireplace.
The Miller House
200 11th Street
The home was built between 1929 and 1931 for Dr. William Abbott, who worked at Sacred Heart Hospital where he delivered a number of local babies. He and his wife Verda lived in the home until early 1950s. A letter “A” on the chimney of this Tudor Revival is a nod to what the owners continue to call the Abbott House.
Original features include unique coved baseboards, tile and fixtures in the upstairs bath, many of the windows, and interior doors and hardware. Many of the radiators are originals, and those that are not were carefully selected American Standard radiators that match what was always there.
The Heinze House
221 10th Street
This Cape-Cod home was built in 1939 for the Pennington family.
Original features include hardwood floors, main-floor built-ins, and built-in dressers in the upstairs rooms.
The Manwaring House
425 Ash Street
The rock Colonial Revival home was built for D.F. and Gladys Richards in 1939. D.F. worked in Bowen Curley’s American National Bank and later became president. He acted as a director for the Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco and owned a ranch at Henry’s Lake.
Original features include the basalt exterior, exterior columns, fireplace, entry staircase, and a foundation 18 inches thick.
The Rose House
188 S. Ridge
In 1938, Carl and Ivo Nation did away with the garden space north of their home at 190 and built a modern Colonial Revival at 188 South Ridge. Ivo’s nephew, a dentist named Dr. Miller, recalled to later owners that his aunt Ivo was tired of the mess of the coal fireplace and other things in her old outdated home. She was ready for a change. In her new home she omitted the fireplace that is usually a given in Colonial Revivals of the time, opting instead for a window on the south wall. In sharp contrast to 190’s heavier shellacked gum wood trim and Craftsman interior, the slim white painted woodwork and arched doorways (even in the basement) were fresh and stylish. By 1938 the Nations were no longer in the grocery business at the Sanitary Grocers, corner of Shoup and A streets. Carl was selling insurance from a home office in the front bedroom of 188. Carl died in 1947 and by 1949 the home belonged to Victor and Oneita Austin. The Austins lived at 188 until Victor’s death, after which Oneita kept it as a rental. Explosive growth came to Idaho Falls with the AEC site starting in the 1950’s. These transplants made up most of the renters in the ensuing years, including JW and Carrie Rogers, who had come from Oakridge Tennessee. They rented the house in 1967, eventually purchasing it from Mrs. Austin in 1972. The Rogers were the longest residents of the home – 50 years – raising their two daughters Susannah and Amanda and retiring here. Carrie, more commonly known as Betty Jo, was an avid gardener whose beds are in constant bloom spring through fall. JW died in 2012 and Betty Jo is busy planting gardens at her new home near her daughter Susannah, in Russellville, Kentucky.
This home is a true preservation and is the work of Bill Bauer, Stephanie Rose, and Stephanie’s parents. The family calls the home Betty Jo in honor of Betty Jo Rogers, who long lived in and loved the house.
The Barn on 1st
3934 1st Street
The barn was built in the 1930s for horses and cows. It was reportedly built by the same crew that worked on what is now Ammon Elementary; when work was caught up on the school, they would work on the barn, and vice versa.
The barn is being finished as an event center. The cupolas are original, as are the walls. One of the most stunning features is the barrel-vaulted ceiling in the upstairs loft. The owners also have and are restoring one of the original weathervanes, a tin horse that nods to the barn’s original use.
The Westergard House
5119 E. Hansen in Iona
The Craftsman home was built in 1911 and was one of the finest homes of its time in the village of Iona. The original owner was Thomas Nixon.
Original features include original millwork, windows, floors, and built-ins. The stained glass was bought in Denver and delivered to the home via handcart.